- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of:
a. Comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the Organization’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications;
b. and, all Organization marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, client acquisition and so forth
- Ensure articulation of Organization’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Organization, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Organization publications
- Coordinate media interest in the Organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests
- Act as the Organization’s representative with the media
- Coordinate the appearance of all Organization print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc
- Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, technical assistance and resource materials to assist chapters in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities
- Provide counsel to chapters on marketing, communications and public relations
- Ensure that the Organization regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends
- Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives
- Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the CEO
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/ public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance
- Recommend short- and long-term Organization goals and objectives to the CEO and Board
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, not-for-profit management and governance, and the specific business of the Organization and use this information to help the Organization operate with initiative and innovation.
- Work with senior staff, other staff to: develop and maintain a strategic perspective -- based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction -- in organizational direction, program and services, and decision-making; and, ensure the overall health and vitality of the Organization
- Help make sure that the Organization’s philosophy, mission and vision are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from the Organization’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the Organization’s relevance
- Help formulate and administer policies to ensure the integrity of the Organization
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel, both paid and volunteer
- Ensure effective management within the marketing, communications and public relations function, with provision for succession
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout the Organization
Attitude and Appearance
- Age range from 35 – 48
- Being self-driven and innovative
- Being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Having ability to take control and action with unquestionable integrity
- Maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Being able to simplify complex issues and communicate a compelling future vision that inspires action
- Leadership and influencing skills
- Management skills
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred
- Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.